The ingredients in these delicious sourdough banana muffins by Instagrammer Deb/everything.sourdough came out great. To make them a bit healthier I replaced a half cup of all purpose white flour with whole wheat flour. I also significantly reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup and found the muffins were sweet enough for me. I also added semi sweet chocolate chips instead of nuts to my second batch.
This is a good way to use up a little of your sourdough discard.
Sourdough Banana Muffin Recipe
* 108g (1/2 cup) canola oil or other neutral oil
* 2 large eggs
* 85g (1/4 cup) milk or non-dairy alternative
* 2 medium very ripe bananas (1 cup) mashed
* 50g (1/4 cup) sourdough starter, fed or unfed at room temperature
* 209g (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour ~ I replaced a half a cup of white flour with whole wheat
* 310g (1 1/2) cups granulated sugar ~ I used only 1/2 cup of sugar
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 75g (1/2 cup) chopped nuts or chocolate chips ~ optional
* Preheat the oven to 350°F (165°C), and grease your muffin tins with butter, a neutral oil or nonstick cooking spray.
* In a mixing bowl, combine, canola oil, eggs, milk, banana and sourdough starter.
* Combine dry ingredients and wisk together. Add dry ingredients to banana mixture.
* Pour the batter into your prepared muffin tins. Bake for 18-22 minutes until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
* Remove from oven, cool and enjoy!
NOTES: You can substitute brown sugar for white or use a mix of sugars. You can substitute 1/2 of the oil for applesauce for a lower calorie version. If you have too many bananas freeze to use at any time time and defrost before using them.